Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Run DMC: Kings Of Rock

Every jam we play, we break two needles /
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles

Run DMC were a huge influence on my interest in music and one of my first favorites. I remember buying Raising Hell on cassette when it was first released in 1986 (when I was 8 years old??!?!). I fell in love with the big beats and straight ahead lyrics of tracks like 'It's Tricky', 'Peter Piper', and 'You Be 'Illin'.' All these years later, watching them inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, it confirms that I had pretty good taste for a third grader.

Joseph 'Run' Simmons, Daryl 'DMC' McDaniels, and Jason 'Jam Master Jay' Mizell were inducted by Eminem as part of the first RnR HOF ceremony to take place outside of New York City, at the museum's home in Cleveland, OH.

Check out Marshall Mather's heartfelt induction speech and the acceptance by Simmons, McDaniels, and Jay's mother.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember some "older kid" wearing a "Raising Hell" t-shirt at summer camp once; despite not knowing what it meant, I still thought it was the coolest shirt ever...I'm sure it's on Ebay somewhere...

DS,
The Weight