Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Rock'n Folk'n Roll: Cover Lay Down

Now that we're back in the blogging game, I've spent some time tonight visiting a number of the sites that I used to read regularly when I was looking for inspiration for my own posts on The Weight. One of those blogs, that I frequented frequently, features, by their own description, "folk covers of familiar songs" and "reimagined versions of folk songs."

I am absolutely the target market for this site. I have a passion for cover versions and folk songs, and thanks to Cover Lay Down, I get to listen to a wealth of folk'n covers. The site also happens to be one of the best written music blogs on the Internet. The mp3s shared always come along with insightful information about both the coverer and the coveree and it's evident that the author has a wealth of knowledge about mainstream pop/rock and the present and past of bluegrass and folk.

I'll share a few of my favorites that I found perusing Cover Lay Down tonight. You may not be famliar with the performer, but you'll certainly be familiar with the material.

Jeffrey Foucault: Lodi (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Mary McCaslin: Things We Said Today (The Beatles)

Brianna Lane: Learn To Fly (Foo Fighters)

John Martyn: Don’t Think Twice, It’s Alright (Bob Dylan)

1 comment:

WeightStaff said...

Is there a folk version of "Do you really listen to all of these cover songs done in the style of folk"? Wow. You think you know you're Weightstaff and one goes and pulls this out...

Love,
Ryan
Weightstaff