Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cash For Your Extra?

Well, undoubtedly you've already heard the news about Phish announcing their first post-breakup shows to be held next March in Hampton, VA. Our friend Brian sent us his thoughts on the announcement and what will surely be a tough ticket:

I must admit that I did not see this coming so soon. I really felt in my heart that Phish was in no way prepared to make a comeback so quickly. My instincts told me that we may see a reunion show sometime in late 2009, but what the hell do I know. It definitely raises some questions when you think about it. When the band called it quits in 2004, Trey really made it sound like the band was officially done for good and their was no shot of them continuing on. Now, I know that their have been shows where members of the band played onstage together, and in the past few months, the rumors have been flying around like crazy as to what would happen next. Well, the boys are back and it looks like they are in no way done. My question is, why? One could argue that the four guys in the group have all enjoyed doing their own thing musically, and since they are getting along so well, why not pick up right where they left off. As Trey so bluntly put it..." I would give my left nut to play that song onstage every night for the rest of my life" (referring to You Enjoy Myself). I'm hoping that their decision to return is that genuine. All four guys in that group love music, and love to evolve through a musical outlet. I'm sure that they feel they can continue to grow as individuals and as a band through Phish. The only other reason I could see them returning is simply for money. Although I doubt that this is their prime motivation. I imagine that all four guys are rather wealthy and money really isn't an issue to them anymore. I know that when the band broke up, Trey said he felt really bad about having to inform nearly 100 people that they no longer had a job. He was referring to the Phish front office and road crew. My guess is that all of these people when on to other ventures but now maybe they will have a chance to relive old glory days. All in all, it makes me very happy to know that Phish has decided to take the plunge and give it another run for the phans. The scene has changed in the last few years and it will be interesting to see who the band attracts. So far, the band has announced 3 shows in March at Hampton Coliseum's "Spaceship". I saw Phish their many times and anyone that has been there knows it holds only about 12,000 people. Well, I can only imagine that hundreds of thousands of people are gonna want to get into those three nights so tickets will be very hard to come by and expensive once its sold out. I am going to do my best to get in all 3 nights but I know its going to be difficult.

No comments: