Saturday, May 17, 2008

Virgin Addiction

I had also considered the working titles of "I Love Virgins" and "I'd Travel Anywhere for a Virgin". Hey, we did some demographic studies here at The Weight and apparently most of our readers are male. So, we did what any proper journalist would do...create a grossly over-sexualized and misleading title for our post. You're still reading...aren't you!?!?

So, I was sitting at work at 6 pm on Friday which is not one of my most fertile periods of work-related output. So I did what I would normally do to fake busy...peruse YouTube and hypem.com. I found myself getting a serious buzz off of Jeff Buckley's video clips. He may not have a bunch of albums under his belt, but the amount of unreleased bootlegs, live footage, covers of songs, and not to mention other artists covering his songs is tremendous. I would recommend Jamie Cullum covering "Lover You Should Have Come Over". Great stuff.

So sitting there, I remembered that I had been meaning to rebuy the Jeff Buckley DVD: "Live in Chicago". I had purchased this one about five years ago, back when I didn't take quite such good care of my DVDs and it got scratched to DVD hell. It's been on my repurchase list forever...it just hasn't been available. So with my few remaining seconds at work, I called up the Virgin Megastore in Union Square who actually claimed to have a copy. I wasn't convinced it was really on the shelf but made the trek anyway.

For those of you that don't know...the Virgin Megastore is my one remaining addiction in life. Except, of course, not counting my severe need for adulation, compliments, and attention. But that is probably never going away (Leave positive comments...please!!!). So I walk into the store and am inundated with the smells of CDs in cellophane, cardboard vinyl sleeves, and the aluminum of the Sex Pistols lunchboxes. In other words, I won't be able to keep my eyes off of ALL the merchandise. [There is also the din of the amateur hip-hop artists aggressively hocking their CashMoney knockoffs right outside, but for that I can keep my money in my pants]. So en route to the Buckley aisle, I already have Grand Theft Auto 4 in my hands, as well as two vinyl albums: Donny Hathaway's self titled record and Aretha Franklin's 'I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You'. I also grabbed a Michael Jackson 'Live in Bucharest: Dangerous Tour' DVD when he was just half a freak back in 1992 and still had some credibility. All of this before I even reach the Buckley section. And lo and behold, they didn't have one copy of Buckley Live in Chicago, they had about 20!! I guess I wasn't shocked that this never available title was now available. Must be because of the Castro effect.

So all in all, I went from an intended $16.99 purchase to a $128 purchase. Not too bad for an addict. Until the store calls my name again and I venture in there next time...I just hope I stay away from the Stewart Copeland Police doll and the New York Dolls white stretch pants.

Note: Had to share this quote from the Donny Hathaway album: "People who believe in music are the happiest people I've ever seen."

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

Hey not ALL your readers are male :)

I LOVE Jeff Buckley. I am so glad he lives on in videos and of course music....Halleluja for that! (pun intended).

$128 is not too bad!