Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Axl and Slash Together Again?

Is the time finally right for a reunion of the original Guns n' Roses?

With lead guitarist Robin Finck leaving Axl and GnR 2.0 behind earlier this month to go back on tour with Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails for the first time since 2000, Axl will be looking for a new lead guitarist. And with the departure of Scott Weiland from Velvet Revolver, Slash and company are short a lead singer.

Rumors have been numerous about possible reconciliations between Axl and Slash over the years, so why not put the past behind them and get the old band back together now. It would be the biggest story in music if these two icons decided to reform the original Guns n' Roses.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As most of us GNR fans on the boards realize (and I use "most" lightly, because many still clutch to this hope), it's never going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love it if it did. But I think with where Axl is now, he's happy with his band (whether they be hired hands or not, they are still a band... after all, what is a band these days but hired hands?). Why should he throw them over his shoulder for the old guys? And with Slash talking trash about Axl once again, calling him lazy... again, I just don't see it happening.

Besides, if the old band were to get together, a reunion of the "original" (which that would be more like Axl, Izzy, and Tracii Guns, actually), that would have to include Steven Adler. From what I've heard and read in the past, Axl does not like Steven and will not welcome him back.

Maybe once Slash could jump onstage with the new band as a stunt, a small reunion between lead singer and lead guitarist, maybe, but I'm personally not getting my hopes up.

Nice article, though.

Unknown said...

or a space wiseman! - thanks for your thoughts. If I may, I'd like to address one of your questions - "Why should he [Axl] throw them over his shoulder for the old guys?"

Answer: $$$

Why Clapton & Winwood?
Why Cream?
Why the Stones?
Eagles, Kiss, Black Sabbath?
The list goes on.

Same Answer: $$$

These guys aren't getting any younger. And unfortunately, I suspect that as each year passes, their royalties get smaller and smaller as the kids are more into Vampire Weekend and Good Charlotte than the glam-rock scene of 1980's L.A. Hell, Axl is 46 and Slash is 42. I don't even think my parents were that old when I bought Appetite on cassette!

While I didn't author the post you responded to and while I do agree that the chances of a GN'R reunion are distant at best, stranger things have happened, and the 'ole greenback usually has something to do with it. Whether or not their feelings for each other have changed over the years, one thing never changes: the color of money...

Cheers,
DS
Weightstaff

Gaurav Kumar said...

ITS IMMPOSSIBLE DUDE....THE REUNION IS NOT POSSIBLE.