Wednesday, January 30, 2008

May Your Song Always Be Sung

We here at The Weight pride ourselves on our musical prowess and love sharing that with you. But I also think we share a little piece of our emotional lives as well as we need to. Its cathartic to write, and I know by reading someone like Lefsetz's blog of his own personal thoughts, it feels good sometimes to read what other have to say.

So as I've mentioned, I'm 29 and staring down the barrel of 30. I won't use the cliches of "I don't feel more than 22", but damn, its so relevant...I really don't feel older than 22! There I said it . With the passing of Heath Ledger at 28, its weighs heavy on me to know that the timeline of his life stops at that young age. One year younger than me. His life was half over at 14. Think about that.

Well, I found this list via John's Rambling Place blog of those celebrities that died too young. And all of them seemed so much older then their actual age truly was. So many of these shocked me beyond belief and I couldn't help but think of my own age:


Aaliyah – 22 years old


Kurt Cobain – 27 years old


James Dean – 24 years old


Jimi Hendrix – 27 years old


Shannon Hoon – 28 years old


Janis Joplin – 27 years old


Jim Morrison – 27 years old


River Phoenix – 23 years old


Tupac Shakur – 25 years old


Biggie Smalls – 24 years old


I was probably between 12 and 21 when a good bit of this happened and had no true perspective as to how truly young these folks were. Tupac was just 25? Biggie 24?!? Fuck. All I can say is remember Warren Zevon's words: "Enjoy Every Sandwich".

Listen: Forever Young, the Dylan version (Sorry Rod Stewart faithful) by Eddie Vedder

May your heart always be joyful,
May your song always be sung,
May you stay forever young...
B.D.

No comments: