Saturday, December 15, 2007

Tom Petty, Dave Grohl, and The Heartbreakers

I've been watching the four-hour documentary on the story of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers on and off for the last week. It is fantastic. I would consider myself to be more than a fan of Tom's. Wildflowers, released as a solo album in 1994 is one of my favorite albums of all time and I have seen his band play as far away as London.

One segment I watched today, covering the making of Wildflowers and the departure of original drummer Stan Lynch, shows Tom and the HBs playing rocker "Honey Bee" on Saturday Night Live. As the story goes, Tom called up Dave Grohl to ask him to play drums with his band on the show. As a fan of Tom's, Dave answered with a resounding 'Yes'. Grohl goes on to say in the movie that this was the first time he was excited to play the drums since the breakup of Nirvana.

Check out this performance of a young, energetic Dave Grohl bashing out this tune on the kit:


And go buy, rent, Netflix Running Down a Dream.

No comments: