Monday, November 5, 2007

Phil Lesh & Friends: Nokia Theater, 11/3/07

"Every silver lining's got a touch of grey"

I'll keep this short because there isn't a whole lot to say. Regretfully, it was one of the more boring Phil shows I've seen. After reading Friday's set list online(which included "Midnight Rider," "Dire Wolf," "Dead Flowers," "Mama Tried," "Terrapin," "Stella Blue," "Wharf Rat," Pink Floyd's "Eclipse," and Ryan Adams), I knew it was a long shot that Saturday's show would even come close to comparing.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the band per se; they are tight and they know the material quite well. I just found the show somewhat dull (especially the first set -- which seems to be the trend on this tour) coupled with the fact that both sets included some of my least favorite songs (e.g. Good Lovin', Lovelight, Playin', The Wheel). Ironically, right before the second set, I vowed to my friend that I would walk out if I heard either "Playin" or "The Wheel." Well, they played both, and some 20 minutes later, we were in a cab heading downtown...

The one highlight for me was Dylan/The Band's "This Wheel's on Fire" which was a nice surprise. I've got one last show tomorrow so wish me luck...

Phil Lesh & Friends
Nokia Theater, NYC
11/3/07

Good Lovin'> Downhearted> Pride of Cucamonga, This Wheel's on Fire, Mississippi Half Step> Jam> So Hard To Find My Way, Big Boss Man 2: Playin' in the Band> Spots of Time> The Wheel> Somebody Loan Me a Dime> Jack Straw> Jam> Unbroken Chain> Jam> St. Stephen> Jam> The Eleven> Jam> Lovelight E: Casey Jones

No comments: