Friday, April 13, 2007

The Other Ones - PGSoR

So, I was browsing YouTube today for Grateful Dead concert footage (what else is new), when I came across several intriguing clips -- namely, kids performing Dead songs...and quite well! Apparently, they're from the Paul Green School of Rock, which is located outside of Philly. From what I understand, the concept is not surprisingly, the same as in the Jack Black movie -- that is, students from ages 7-18, join the program, form bands, and perform live throughout the country.

What I want to know is, where was this program when I was in high school?? My band practices took place at the home of a gynecologist where we were forced to do manual labor in exchange for 2 hours of rehearsal...

Below are two clips that I thought were overly impressive. The first is "Help On the Way/Slipknot," which any Dead fan/musician knows are extremely challenging for players at any level. The second clip is "Shakedown Street" (the wah effect is right on!). Look out Dark Star Orchestra!

Let us know what you think.

p.s. Check out the kid on keys in Help/Slip, he's like 10!!



No comments: