Monday, April 23, 2007

A Momentary Lapse of Reason

What was I thinking? Why didn't I go? Will he ever come back?

These questions haunt me daily. The daydream is recurrent, the regret is perpetual. Over a year later, I'm still unable to forgive myself for choosing not to see David Gilmour at Radio City Music Hall during his last (hopefully not ever) tour. Now that the time is gone and the song is over, I thought I'd something more to say for myself... Instead, I just ask: how the fuck did this happen??

I grew up idolizing the guy. There was NO ONE cooler than David Gilmour. I remember when I discovered Meddle in my father's then defunct vinyl collection and wondered why these "sounds" didn't come out of MY guitar. While in high school, my band ALWAYS paid homage to Pink Floyd at the talent show competition. Hell, I still listen to Dark Side, in its entirety, at least once a month. And do I dare mention the "non-sexual man-crush?" Okay, a little too much information there...

So in 2006, when people asked if I was going to any of his NYC shows, I rationalized (albeit poorly):

"I'm waiting for 'The Floyd' to tour -- there are credible rumours that it will finally happen."
Still no Floyd dates, nor is there any remote possibility of the original members touring in the near future;

"I heard he plays mostly new material."
Hmmm..."Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "Time" aren't "new;"

"I don't want to watch unknown studio musicians play "Echoes" -- it's sacrilegious!"
Rick Wright manned the keys for the tour, Dick Parry handled the sax (he performed the original sax solos on Dark Side), and Nick Mason joined for an encore in London.

"The ticket price is outrageous! I'm not paying that kinda money to see a solo act!"
Ticket to see David Gilmour: $110.45
Budweiser inside of venue: $6.50
Cab ride home: $7.90
Experience of seeing the greatest living guitarist in a setting as intimate as Radio City: Priceless.


Yes, I know, I screwed up -- royally -- and now I have to live with it. Unfortunately, the closest I'll have to seeing the shows is the DVD scheduled for release later this year.

So what have I learned from all this? Well, from that date forward, I vowed never to miss a show because it was a "solo tour" or because the ticket price was a little steep. Guys like Gilmour are LEGENDS. Do I dare ask myself if I would have skipped Lennon at MSG merely because he was playing with the Plastic Ono Band? Or Richard Manuel sans The Band at Saugerties in 1985? We ain't getting any younger people, and neither are they. Before we know it, there will be no more Levon Helms, Paul McCartneys, or even David Gilmours... My advice: go see Bob Dylan, despite what you hear about his recent tours; don't miss Clapton the next time he plays live -- even if it is an arena tour; and be sure to check out Phil Lesh or Bobby Weir before the remaining members of the Grateful Dead are, well, dead.

D.S., Weightstaff

p.s. On April 9, 2007, IrelandOn-line reported that Roger Waters dismissed speculation that the band would be re-united once again for the Live Earth show in July, 2007 -- Wikipedia

No comments: