Monday, March 26, 2007

Zodiac / Donovan

Zodiac is one the best movies I have seen in a long, long time. The movie, set in the San Francisco Bay area in the 70's and based on the self-named Zodiac serial killer, feels so real and alive, and the acting is so spectacular, that I felt like I had a window into the mysteries, fact finding, public hysteria, and general essence of the times from this priceless movie. Directed by David Fincher (Seven, The Game, Fight Club), and including a cast of Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr. (is there anyone cooler in movies today?) plus a bunch of phenomenal character actors including one of my faves of all time, Philip Baker Hall (Boogie Nights, Magnolia), I couldn't get over how intriguing and spellbinding the movie was. It clocked in at 2 hours and 40 minutes so it certainly isn't short but its well worth the time investment.

The whole time I couldn't help thinking about the snipers in DC and how I was in the death zone (including a shooting at my local Home Depot at the time, which was about a mile from where I lived). It's not fun running in a zig-zag pattern every time you need to go buy toiler paper. While the snipers terrorized the greater DC area for a matter of weeks, Zodiac haunted and taunted Northern California for (arguably) over a decade.

Once you've seen the movie, you'll never be able to listen to Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man the same way. If you haven't seen the movie...listen to the song now, check out the flick, listen to the song again, and then leave your comments. Enjoy.


No comments: