Monday, February 19, 2007

God Only Knows...

There are certain people in this world that leave a lasting impression on you. For me, Dennis Wilson was one of those people. A few years back, I was watching a 1976 Beach Boys Special on PBS and was completely blown away by Dennis. Don't get me wrong, I was equally impressed with the band as a whole, who were in my opinion, at the top of their game at this point (and probably on tons of drugs as well). Nevertheless, it was Dennis's delicate yet tormented vocals that captivated me. His cocky swagger and rock star persona helped lift the "clean cut" stigma the band created just a decade earlier.

There is little doubt that around the time this footage was captured, Dennis was on the verge of physical and mental breakdown. So much so that when I watch him sing, I can't help but wonder if the music was a cry for help or just his way of masking the pain. Sadly, his sudden death in 1983 robbed the music world of one of its most underrated talents.

Dennis Wilson (1944-1983)

No comments: