Monday, February 12, 2007

The Beatles, Clapton, and The Black Eyed Peas???

Garth Algar put it best when he famously remarked some fifteen years ago, "I think I'm gonna hurl." Well, after subjecting myself to three painful hours of bad punchlines and awkward collaborations, I, like Garth, feel very sick today.

And I don't think I'm alone here. Anyone with the slightest taste in music won't argue that the Grammy's have officially evolved into an over-produced, artificial, heap of garbage. Thanks to a group of self-proclaimed industry "experts" at the Recording Academy (yes, their website actually refers to them as experts), "artists" like Beyonce, T.I., and the Black Eyed Peas have supposedly achieved the once highest honors in the music biz. Who is doing the voting here people?? The high school prom committee?? The yearbook staff?? Even more embarrassing is the annual "we're really not friends" award, which this year went to Tony Bennett and Stevie Wonder (past years have included Sting & Mary J. Blige and Santana & Michelle Branch). Perhaps the only worthy recipient of last night's event was John Mayer--at least the guy knows his way around the fretboard and writes his own material.

While on the topic, what was the deal with the three women who were competing to perform with Justin Timberlake? I thought American Idol was on Tuesday nights. Yes Simon, they were "forgettable."

On a side note, I came across a quote from Maynard James Keenan of Tool (a band I don't care all that much for) regarding why the band didn't accept their Grammy in 2002:

I think the Grammys are nothing more than some gigantic promotional machine for the music industry. They cater to a low intellect and they feed the masses. They don't honor the arts or the artist for what he created. It's the music business celebrating itself. That's basically what it's all about.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

All in all, it's hard to fathom that Fergie and her entourage of buffoons are carrying the torch in a category that once belonged to The Beatles, Chicago, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Eagles. But the joke is on them. In twenty years, I am quite confident that no one will care, let alone remember, any one song by Beyonce, Ludacris or Shakira. But one thing is for sure -- we'll always have "Layla" and "A Hard Day's Night."

As for next year, this guy will be tuned out...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

agreed. 100%. the grammy's are a joke. i didn't even know that it happened til this blog.